Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Jamaica...a little something cool to drink

Today, in beautiful sunny San Diego, it's 95 F!!!  In November.  In the middle of November.  When the rest of the country is getting snow.  It's HOT!  

So, I'm not cooking.  Sorry.  But I do want to give you guys something homemade.  A nice ice cold glass of the Mexican agua fresca, Jamaica, will be perfect for today...or any day really.  It's that good.
For those of you who don't know, Jamaica (pronounced "ha-my-ca") is a flower that when simmered make a delicious fruity drink.  You will need some dried Jamaica flowers and sugar to taste.  Oh, and ice.  Lots of ice.  Cause it's nasty hot.
Take about 2 cups of the Jamaica and add to about 3 cups water in a pot to boil.
You want to bring the water to a boil.
Turn the heat down to medium low and summer for about 10 min.  
Get a pitcher and your sugar.  I added about 1 cup of sugar to my gallon sized pitcher (it wasn't super sweet).  
Pour in the Jamaica and mix until sugar is dissolved.  Add cold water to fill the pitcher.
I always add the flowers back into the agua fresca since my lid strains the water.  Pour over a large glass of ice and enjoy!

Happily Homemade
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment