Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bread Pudding & Lentil Soup

I must apologize for my lack of a homemade post yesterday.  I did make some yummy bread pudding, however my cute hubs came home with a movie for us to watch after the kiddos were in bed...so I had a choice...write a post about bread pudding or cuddle with my Mexicano.  Sorry, I ditched ya ;).

So today I will give you two recipes.  The bread pudding from last night and lentil soup for today!

Cranberry Bread Pudding:

stale, unused, or day old bread (any kind of bread...I used a couple biscuits and some sourdough rolls)
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup craisins
4 beaten eggs
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F.
Tear enough bread apart until it loosely fills a 9 x 9 baking dish.
 
 
Gather all your ingredients.  This will go together super easily and super fast.
 
 
Add your beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together and stir.
 
Pour the melted butter over the bread. 
Sprinkle the craisins (you could also use raisins if you like them...I don't so I use craisins) over the bread and then pour the milk mixture all over. 
 Use a fork to smash the bread into the milk.  You want to make sure all the bread is wet and soaking up the mixture.  Put into the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the bread has soaked up all the milk and springs back when touched.
Eat with a big dollop of whipped cream!
 
 

Lentil Soup

1lb bag of dried lentils
2 small tomatoes
cilantro
2 tbsp knorr chicken base
pepper
 
 
These are lentils.  You will need a 1lb bag.  You can make less, of course, just adjust the water and chicken base.  Make sure you search through them for any stray rocks or icky looking lentils.  Then rinse them.
 

Add triple the amount of water into the pot with the lentils.  If you use 1 cup of dried lentils, use 3 cups of water.  Add cut tomatoes.  My tomatoes were small romas so I only cut them in half.  You don't want them chopped, but instead you want large pieces.  Add a handful of cilantro and the knorr chicken base and pepper to taste.  I used about 2 tbsp of the chicken base.  Just add it 1 tbsp at a time and let the lentils get warm.  Taste the broth...if it has enough flavor, great.  If not, add more until you get the flavor you like.  Bring the water to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 1/2 hour or until lentils are tender.
Serve up a large bowl of warm lentil soup.  You can add fresh cilantro to garnish if you'd like.  Perfect for cold rainy days like we are having today!
 
Enjoy!
 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment