Tuesday, November 19, 2013

DIY Body Wash

Today is another DIY day!  Homemade body wash made from a bar of soap.  Its super simple and very cost effective.  Let's get started.

What you need:

A couple 4 oz bars of soap (depending on how much body wash you want...multiply each 4oz bar x 2 = total oz of wash)
Water

Walmart and Target have 6 Oil of Olay bars for $5 right now. Needing to buy some more body wash anyway, I decided to go for these bars of soap and make my own.
 Take your bars of soap and grate them.  I used 2 in this recipe, but use as many or few as you like...just use equal amounts of soap to water...4oz soap + 4 oz water, 8oz soap + 8oz water, etc.
 
Put the grated soap into a large pot.  Add an equal amount of water to the soap.  I used 2 bars (8oz) so I added 8 oz (1 cup) of water.  This will make a VERY concentrated body wash.  It will be super thick.  I prefer this because I only have to use a small amount on my poof and it will go a long way.  If you don't want it as thick, add twice as much water...8 oz soap + 16 oz water.
Bring the soap/water mixture to a boil.  Stir often so that it doesn't overflow.  Let the soap boil for about 2 minutes.
As you can see (sort of), 2 bars of soap plus 8 oz of water made about 24 oz of body wash.  I used 1/3 of the bars (2 of the 6) so the cost was $1.67.  This made 24 oz of body wash, which in the stores a 23.6 oz bottle would cost  $4.97...a savings of $3.30!  For the same $4.97 ($5) I can make 3 homemade bottles of body wash, or 72 oz (more if you double the water and make it less concentrated)!  THAT'S a GREAT deal!
 
Enjoy!
 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By any chance could this be done in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great I'll have to try it everything is more expensive now can't get the body wash for that price now,I rather make my own,thank you

    ReplyDelete