Monday, November 4, 2013

Homemade Egg Muffins

So, how did you like the apple pie last night?  Yummy?  I know mine was.  A bit more like a cobbler since it was in a baking dish, but still sooo good!  I do think I will pre-bake the pie crust about 10-15 min prior to adding in the apples next time.  Maybe it will make for a more pie-like crust.  Still, I find myself trying NOT to eat it for breakfast this morning!

So, in order to not eat the rest of the pie, I made homemade egg muffins.  These are great little hand size meals that would be perfect for on-the-go mornings.  They are quick to put together, take about 20-25 min to bake and can also freeze well.  Just take as many as you need out of the freezer, microwave, and you have a homemade meal without it taking a lot of time!

The great thing about these egg muffins is that you can use whatever ingredients on hand and make them as healthy, or not, as you desire!  There isn't much of a "recipe" which is what makes them so simple and easy!  Yet, they are homemade, cost less than grabbing take out, and definitely much more nutritious.  Homemade doesn't always have to mean standing over the stove for hours!

This morning I decided to make a few different options for my egg muffins.  I have two made in biscuits and 4 wrapped in bacon (4 of which are egg whites and 2 with the whole egg).  I added tomatoes, red bell peppers, and cheese but you can add anything you want.  Think spinach, feta, mushrooms, sausage...the ideas are endless.


Just be sure you spray the cupcake pan with cooking spray BEFORE adding the ingredients.  It will make for much easier release and neater appearance...

Homemade Egg Muffins

Eggs (one egg per muffin)
Veggies (any sort of vegetables you want to add)
Bacon (you will want to pre-cook the bacon for a few minutes...it should be browned but still flexible...I used 1 slice or, in my case, two 1/2 slices)
Cheese
Biscuit (optional)

Pre-cook bacon until slightly browned and flexible.  Place in each cupcake hole.  Add any veggies and cheese.  Add egg or egg white on top of other ingredients.  Bake at 350 F for about 20-25 min, depending on how you prefer your eggs (runny yoke = less time).  If you want to make a lot and freeze, just allow the muffins to cool and then place in a freezer bag and put into the freezer.  Easy peasy!

Gather all your ingredients.  I used bacon, tomato, red bell pepper, cheese, and biscuits for two of the muffins.

If using biscuits, roll out each biscuit (I used Grands here) and then stuff into the cupcake holes. 


Pre-cook your bacon until brown but still flexible.  I always cut our bacon in 1/2 before cooking...helps it go farther (my family LOVES bacon!), lets my kids think they get 2 slices when they are really only getting one, and it fits in the pan easier when cooking.  Then chop your veggies.  I used American cheese so I just cut each slice into 4 little squares.
Place bacon around the edge of each hole, then add veggies and cheese.  Add the egg on the top...you can see that I used egg whites on 3 of them and the whole egg on 3...use whatever suits your fancy.  I also seasoned with salt and pepper but after eating realized that the bacon was really salty enough for my taste, so the added salt probably wasn't necessary.  Bake at 350 F for 20-25 min (I did 25 min since I wanted the yoke cooked, 20 min for a runny yoke).
Breakfast in a cup (cake)! 
Just plop them out and take them to go!  Super easy to throw together and you can get ready to get out of the house while they bake, then just grab and go!  Makes a quick, hearty/healthy, breakfast for the kids before school too!
 
 
Did you make these?  What ingredients did you add to your muffins? 
 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 


No comments:

Post a Comment