Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Perfect Baked Potato

I made baked potatoes the other night for New Year's...with steak of course...cause what is better than steak and potatoes?  Not much in my opinion.  And since I have killed my share of potatoes in the past while trying to bake them, I thought I'd share with you exactly how you can get a fantastic baked potato in your oven.  Yes, you read that right.  OVEN.  Say it with me.  Oven.  Not the microwave.  The oven.  Does it take longer?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  Yes.  Try it.  It will take about an hour, but you can get the rest of your dinner ready while these are baking.
 
 
I used golden potatoes, but have used the traditional russet also.  This works perfectly for all of them!
 

Perfect Baked Potatoes

Potatoes
Oil (olive, canola...whatever you have)
Salt
 
Preheat the oven to 350F.  I used my toaster oven for this but obviously the big oven works too. 
 
Wash your potatoes well and then take a fork and poke holes on each side of the potato.  I just start jabbing the thing.  This will help release steam as the potato cooks.
 

 
 Get some oil, you will need very little.  I didn't even use all that I poured. Rub the oil on your potatoes.  You mostly just want the potato to be moist so the salt sticks.  Then sprinkle salt on all sides of the potato. 
Place directly on the rack in the preheated oven.  You can place a cookie sheet under the potatoes, on the bottom rack, to catch any oil drippings.  Bake for about 1 hr, depending on size of the potatoes.  The skin will look slightly wrinkled and the potatoes will be soft when squished.
 
Add butter, sour cream, bacon, chives, or whatever yummy toppings you like on your potato!  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade,
Sandra
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment