Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Orange Chicken Stir Fry

Orange chicken stir fry!  This is delicious, really, it is!  And there's quite an interesting story behind the chicken...
 
Last night I made two bacon wrapped chicken breasts, stuffed with a spinach and artichoke cheese mixture.  We didn't eat them.  Handsome Mexican decided he didn't want that for dinner, and to be honest, I really didn't either.  Has that ever happened to you?  You spend time making something to eat and then just don't really want it when it's done?  Tell me I'm not the only crazy one!
 
So, into the fridge they went with the knowledge that they would have to be eaten today.  But as I stared at them all day in the fridge, I still didn't want them.  Now, understand, there wasn't anything wrong with them...I've made them before and they are awesome...I just wasn't hungry for stuffed chicken. 
 
What I really wanted was Chinese food!  I know, I can be totally random at times.  So, today's recipe comes from last night's stuffed chicken.  Can you tell?  I know, I can't either...which I guess means it's a success!  Now, don't worry if you don't have leftover stuffed chicken...this will work just as perfectly with uncooked chicken.
 

Orange Chicken Stir Fry

Orange Sauce
 
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup agave syrup (or honey...I use agave because that's what I have)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp crushed red peppers (or more or less to taste)
 
Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well incorporated.
 
Chicken
 
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1/2 of the orange sauce
 
Mix half of the orange sauce into the cooked chicken.  Coat the chicken well.  Set aside.
 
Stir Fry
 
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 small head of broccoli
 
Chop all your veggies.  You can use whatever vegetables you like or have on hand.
 
Get out a large Calderon, or skillet, or wok.  Add a tablespoon of coconut oil, or any kind of oil you prefer, and heat the pan on high heat.  Once your pan is hot, toss in the veggies along with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Stir the veggies and cook until crisp-tender.
 
Once the vegetables are cooked, add the chicken.  I found that I didn't need to add the rest of the orange sauce, but if you like yours extra saucy, add the sauce.  Cook for a minute or two until the sauce thickens. 
 
Serve over rice, or noodles if you prefer, and Enjoy!  I don't know about you, but I can't tell this was last night's stuffed chicken, can you? 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 


 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment