Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cinnamon Apple Crockpot Oatmeal

If you are looking for a warm, hearty breakfast that takes a couple minutes to put together, and virtually no time to serve in the morning...Cinnamon Apple Crockpot Oatmeal is what you need.  Not only is it super easy to make, it makes your whole house smell like apple pie!  Just cook the oats overnight in your crock pot and come morning, you have a delicious, hearty breakfast...perfect if you're in the part of the country that has snow right now!

Cinnamon Apple Crockpot Oatmeal

2 cups steel cut oats
7 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup flax meal (optional)
1tsp vanilla
1-2 tbsp cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon so I add extra...your choice)
3-4 apples, diced (I don't peel my apples but if you want, you can)
*1/2 cup +/- to taste, brown sugar.  I don't add any sugar to my oatmeal.  My family has different tastes when it comes to how sweet we like our oatmeal.  I love it sweet, my Handsome Mexican doesn't, the kids think either way is second to death...so I make it without sugar and just add to our taste when we are ready to eat it.  If you choose to add sugar, use brown sugar and start with a 1/2 cup and adjust according to your taste.*

Basically you just toss everything into the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10hrs (mine took 9 hrs).  Easy Peasy.

 
First and foremost, spray the dickens out of your crockpot with cooking spray!  Seriously, spray it well or your oatmeal will stick so badly, you'll have to just buy a new crockpot...ok, maybe that's a bit much, but after spending hours scrubbing out the glued on oatmeal, you'll seriously consider it!  Don't ask how I know...
 
Chop your apples into small pieces.  I only used 2 apples in my oatmeal, but wish I had added more...probably 4 would be great!  Then add your oats, flax meal, salt, and cinnamon.
 
 
Add the vanilla and water.  Stir around and put the lid on.  Set the crock pot to low and cook for approximately 8-10 hrs.
 
 
And there ya have it...yummy oatmeal for breakfast without any work at all!  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment