Friday, January 3, 2014

My favorite salsa...

Roasted tomatillos and chiles...mmmm...I LOVE this salsa. We make a lot of salsas in our house, but in my opinion, nothing is as yummy as this salsa.

This salsa is perfect for chip-dipping (which I'm doing right now in between typing this post), eating with quesadillas, eggs, or, well, just about anything, I think. And it's not really that difficult to make.

Roasted Salsa with Tomatillos

Tomatillos...(I had about a dozen or so...obviously the more you have, the more salsa you get)
Dried chiles de arbol...I used about 13 chiles. These are the chiles that add the spiciness to the salsa, so adjust accordingly.
Dried California and Guajillo chiles...I used 1 of each. If you have any ancho/pasilla, toss one in...I love the flavor they add but I didn't have any.
1tsp salt (more or less for taste)
Garlic powder (just a shake or so)

First you will want to make sure you peel off the husk that surrounds the tomatillo and wash them well. They will seem sticky so be sure to scrub them a bit. Add them into a skillet on med-high heat and roast, rotating the tomatillos until they are roasted and translucent.

I put the roasted tomatillos in a food processor/blender and process until just smooth with a couple chunks...I don't want it soupy but if you do, feel free to keep blending :)


Next, take your chiles and roast them in a hot skillet. You should probably have your exhaust fan on for this (and a couple windows and the door too!). Leave the chiles whole while roasting. If seeds get on the hot skillet, you will get lots of fumes and will cough your head off (hence the windows, fan and door!). You want to watch the chiles and only leave them on the pan until they just turn dark, making sure to flip them often.

Once the chiles are roasted, pick off the ends and break in half to empty out some of the seeds. Add to the processor/blender and blend until the chiles are crushed into almost a powder. Make sure to crush any larger pieces. Add the chiles to the tomatillos, add salt and garlic powder. Mix.


And there ya have it! Roasted salsa with tomatillos and dried chiles! The roasted flavor is delicious! It really is my favorite. Try it and let me know what you think!
Enjoy

Happily Homemade,
Sandra



No comments:

Post a Comment