Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cranberry Coconut Bran Muffins

How's everyone doing on your New Year's Goals?  I'm doing pretty well, I think.  The kiddos and I have been out and about a lot in the past few weeks...bookstore trips, helping out at a community garden, and the park.  I have lots of produce growing in the garden, and as long as whatever pest that's living in the garden doesn't devour all of it, I'll be well on my to my 100lbs of produce goal.

I also made a goal, like most of the world, to lose some weight and run a 5k.  I've gone for a few walks and I started working out yesterday (better late than never, right?) to Jillian Michael's Body Revolution.  I've done this 90 day program before and lost 25lbs so I know it works. 

I know people either love or hate Jillian...personally I love her.  I like how real she is on the DVDs.  She admits that working out sucks, she isn't the chipper, smiley, bouncy kind of trainer that annoys the nonsense out of me.  I mean, really?  If you are able to look that pretty, wear your hair down, and smile like an idiot while working out...get a harder program!  haha  Just my personal preferences...I think mainly, I just want to know that someone else is suffering like I am!

Along the lines of losing weight...I made some yummy bran muffins this morning!  Each muffin has about 100 calories (give or take a few depending on the fruit you add and how big you make the muffins) so they are perfect for breakfast with cream cheese (my favorite way to eat them) or as an afternoon snack to hold you over til dinner.  Full of lots of fiber and healthy goodness, these muffins are a great part of a healthy diet.


Cranberry Coconut Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups wheat bran (oat bran can be used also)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp flax meal (or ground flax seed)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup coconut milk (regular milk can be used...I just had some of this Homemade Coconut Milk)
1 egg
1/3 cup agave (or honey)
1 ripe banana
2 tbsp coconut oil (other oils will work also)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut (fresh, shredded, or frozen...unsweetened is best)
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

This recipe made 18 muffins for me, using a 1/4 cup measuring cup (not quite full).  Spray your muffin pan and preheat your oven to 350 with a rack on the highest level (this keeps the bottoms from burning).

Add the milk, egg, agave, banana, coconut oil, vanilla, and if you are using fresh coconut, add that now too.  If you use dried or frozen coconut, add it at the end with the cranberries.  Mix the wet ingredients until everything is smooth.
 
Add the wheat bran, flour, flax meal, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda to a large bowl.  Mix. If you are using frozen cranberries, like I did, set aside 1 cup of the flour mixture.
 
If you are using frozen fruit, you will need to toss it with some of the flour mixture.  This keeps the berries (whether it's cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc) from falling to the bottom of the muffin.  I cut most of the larger cranberries in 1/2 and then tossed them in the cup of flour mix I had set aside.  Now set these berries to the side.
 
Add your liquid ingredients to your flour mixture.  Stir only until everything is mixed...do not over stir.  The less you mix, the softer the texture of the muffin.  It's true...I used to think that was a silly rule, but trust me...over beat these things and you will end up with cranberry coconut rocks. 
 
Add in the cranberries and mix just until they are dispersed through out the muffin mixture.  I used a 1/4 cup to scoop the mix into the muffin tins.  If you want them to be a pretty shape, go ahead and smooth them out.  Unlike other muffins, these will not take the shape of the muffin tin with a smooth rounded top...they come out looking the same shape they went in.  I like that though...gives it a bit of a rustic appeal.  Bake at 350F for about 15-18 minutes.  Keep an eye on them and once you can touch the tops and have them bounce back, take them out.  Be careful to not over cook the muffins.  Since they are brown already, it's hard to watch them until they are golden, so the touching works best for me.  Let them sit for a few minutes in the pan.
 

And that's it!  These muffins are delicious!  I've made them with just blueberries also and it's hard to eat just one...or three.  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade,
Sandra
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment