Sunday, December 22, 2013

Restaraunt Style Onion Rings

Do you like onion rings?  I do.  I'll even tell you a little secret.  I dip mine in cocktail sauce instead of ketchup.  I do.  I love it!   I don't like ketchup.  We don't even have it in my house.  But cocktail sauce...mmmmm.  And onion rings.  Big, huge, thick, crunchy onion rings!  And I have just the recipe for you.

 Restaurant Style Onion Rings

1 large yellow onion
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup bread crumbs
Oil for frying

 
Get out three bowls.  In the first bowl, use a fork and beat the eggs and milk together.  In the second bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.  Place the bread crumbs in the third bowl (I tossing in a pinch of salt to my bread crumbs because they were homemade versus the seasoned bread crumbs you buy at the store...more on that later).
 

Slice your onion in 1/2" slices (or as thick as you like your onion rings...I like big, thick ones so mine are probably closer to 1").
 
 
 
Dunk the onion into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture.  Repeat.  Make sure to coat the onion well with the egg and flour.  You will dip the onion into the egg mixture twice and the flour mixture twice at this point.
 
Dip the onion back into the egg mixture (yep, the 3rd time...you can see the flour coating on the onion).  Coat it well.
 
This time instead of putting the onion into the flour mixture, you will put it into the bread crumbs.  Coat the onion very well. 
 
I use homemade bread crumbs.  Every time I make artisan breads, like this French Bread, if we have any leftover, I leave it out to get hard (overnight usually works) and then put the bread into the food processor/blender and make crumbs.  I keep them in the freezer just to keep them fresh.  It doesn't really freeze so there isn't any thawing necessary.  I don't season the crumbs since we use them in several recipes, so be sure to season them when you use them. 
 
 
Once you've coated the onion in the bread crumbs, it's time to fry it.  Drop it into your hot oil and cook for just a few moments (maybe 1 minute on each side...just until golden brown) on each side.  Make sure you flip the onion ring so both sides cook.
 
Take the onion rings out and drain them on a paper towel. 
 
Get out your cocktail sauce, or personal choice of dipping sauce, and munch these babies down! Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment