Monday, February 3, 2014

The BEST Banana Streusel Muffins

I have to admit that I rarely make these muffins.  Not because they are difficult or because I don't have the ingredients, but because they are scrumptious!  I can't eat just one...or two...or four!  They really are that good.  Even Handsome Mexican eats them! 

However, there are times when I really want a yummy muffin for breakfast and these are one of my go-to recipes.  I also have monkeys living in my house (a.k.a...two cute kiddos), so we always have bananas in varying stages of ripeness.  Give 'em a try...you won't be disappointed!

 

Banana Struesel Muffins

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (I actually substituted this with plain Greek yogurt this morning and it worked just
       as well!  Couldn't tell a difference!  If you don't have sour cream you can also make your
       own...use cream cheese and mix until smooth...add 1 tbsp vinegar and enough milk to make a
       creamy texture.  Instant sour cream.)
1/4 cup melted butter
2 ripe bananas
 
Streusel:
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cold butter
 
Preheat your oven to 350F.
 
Add the eggs, sour cream, butter, and bananas to your mixing bowl.  Mix until everything is smooth and incorporated.
 
Add the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and flour and mix just until everything comes together.
 
Fill your muffin pans about 2/3 of the way full.  My mix made 15 muffins and they were a perfect size...not too small and not huge.
 
Go ahead and make the struesel.  Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.  Using a fork, or food processor/blender, and crumble the butter until it makes coarse crumbs.
 
I added about 1/2 tbsp of the streusel to each muffin and it was the perfect amount...you may need to add a bit more or less depending on how many muffins you ended up with.  Bake for 20-25 min at 350F or until lightly golden brown.
 
And that's it!  Super easy and delicious!  These muffins are so light and fluffy, you really will have a hard time eating just one!  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I have just the bananas waiting to be something. Actually was going to make a banana bread, will change it up for some great looking muffins.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete