Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lemon Herb Chicken

I think I've killed my rosemary plant :(  I'm not sure if it was the pests that killed it, I over watered it, or what, but it seems to be on the verge of dying.  It's sad because I really have grown quite fond of rosemary.  I love putting a twig in the oil when frying french fries, or in this yummy Lemon Herb Chicken.  So, if it does die, I definitely know I will be getting some more.  I just need to figure out what happened so I don't make the same mistake.

But, you probably didn't come to this post to hear my woes about my rosemary plant...so here's the recipe for Lemon Herb Chicken.  It's really easy...just toss everything in the baking dish and, you got it, bake!  Thankfully, I was able to use some of the last of the rosemary in this recipe right before it kicked the bucket!

 

Lemon Herb Chicken

2 skin on, bone in chicken breasts (the skin is important to keep on, it helps keep the chicken moist)
4 tbsp butter
2 lemons (or 1 lemon and 1/2 orange...which is what I used because I didn't have 2 lemons)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp thyme (I used regular and lemon thyme from my garden), chopped
1 tsp rosemary, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
4-6 red potatoes, cut into large chunks
 
Get out a baking dish and lay out a few lemon slices along the bottom...use about 1/2 of a lemon (or orange, like me...).   Take the other whole lemon and this 1/2 and juice for the marinade.  Make your marinade with the juiced lemons, olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Taste it.  Seriously, dip a finger in the marinade to see if it has enough salt...if not, add some more.  I used about 1/2 tsp probably.
 
 
I didn't snap a pic, but cut up your potatoes and roll them around in the marinade.  Add the potatoes on top of the lemon slices in the baking dish.  Add your chicken to the marinade and make sure to get all of it coated.  Slip a finger between the skin and meat so that the marinade gets in there also.  Let it sit for a few minutes (you can also marinade this ahead of time...I think an hour would be great.  I didn't marinade it prior to cooking and it still had great flavor).
 
 
Add the marinaded chicken to the baking dish, on top of the potatoes.  Make sure the skin side is facing up.  Pour the leftover marinade on top of the chicken.
 
 
Next, cut your butter into 4 squares (1 tbsp ea) and place 2 on the potatoes, under the chicken.  Then take the other 2 and place them under the skin of each chicken breast (one per breast).  No need to rub it in, the heat will melt the butter on the breast helping to add flavor and moisture.  Bake at 450F for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is done.  That's it!  You can serve with a side salad and you have an entire meal.  Or like us, barbarians that we are....
 
 
...start digging into the chicken before it's even plated (or a picture could be taken)!  The chicken is delish, with lots of lemony flavor.  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment