Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Waste Not, Want Not...Candied Orange Peels

I hate wasting stuff...food, craft supplies, gardening items (dirt included).  Partly it's because I just want to feel like I have used everything to the best of my ability, but mostly it's because I'm cheap.  I am.  If I can pay $1 for something versus $3...I will.  Doesn't matter if I have to wait 3 months to get it...I will go nuts if I give in and spend more than I know I should.  And negotiating/bartering...don't get me started...I'm every Craigslist seller's worst nightmare when it comes to negotiating prices. 

What does that little tidbit about my psychotic self have to do with anything?  Well, when I do buy something, I want to make sure I use as much of it as possible. 

Oranges, for example.  I bought about 20 big, beautiful navel oranges at the beginning of the month for 3lbs x $0.98.  I LOVE navel oranges.  They are one of my favorite fruits.  I like them so much because they don't have seeds (another one of my crazy issues...fruits with little seeds annoy me).

However, after eating one they other night, I realized I had these beautiful orange peels and would have to throw them away.  I thought about orange peel, but don't have one of those zesters (yet...hopefully Santa brings me one for Christmas).  So, I decided to make some candied orange peel.  And it is awesome!  Tastes like orange sugar! Ha.

And it makes me feel good because I didn't waste any part of those beautiful oranges.

Candied Orange Peel

Peel from abut 6 large oranges
4 1/2 cups sugar plus extra for dusting the orange peels
1 1/2 cups water

Slice your oranges in even sized slices and peel.  Eat the orange, keep the peel for the candied peels.
 
Add cold water, enough to cover the peels, and bring to a boil.  Boil for a couple minutes, then drain the water.  Add more cold water and boil again.  Do this about 3 times (the 2nd pic is the last boil) so that you get rid of the bitterness that comes with the peel.
 
After the 3rd boil, drain the orange peels, saving 1 1/2 cups of the boiling water.  Add 4 1/2 cups of sugar to the orange water.  Place the pan on medium heat and cook until the sugar disolves...the sugar water will become clear.  Try not to stir too much as this will make sugar crystals (hardened sugar) and you want syrup.
 
Once the sugar has dissolved, add in the orange peel and turn up the heat to med-hi and bring to a boil.  Turn down to medium and allow the oranges to simmer for about 45 minutes or until the oranges are darker in color.
 
You can see the oranges are darker in color.  Be careful at this point.  Everything is sticky and the syrup is EXTREMELY hot!  Use caution.
 
Add the orange peels to the extra sugar and shake them around.  You want them completely coated with sugar.  Lay out on some wax paper (or aluminum foil if you don't have paper) and allow to dry for about 4-5 hrs, although they are good right out of the sugar pan!
 
That's it!  Pretty easy way to make some orange candy without all the weird chemicals that come in store-bought stuff!  Enjoy!
 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment