Sunday, December 1, 2013

Avena con Leche...or Tres Leches Oatmeal!

Have you ever had tres leches cake?  That "to-die-for" Mexican cake with a delicious milk poured over it????  Yeah, I'm drooling as I type too!  Honestly, I can't believe I lived most of my life without this stuff!  What's funny, is that my MEXICAN husband, hates tres leches cake (yes, I think he needs therapy too...how sad...haha).  I guess he was overloaded with it growing up...traumatic childhood, I know! 

ANYWAY...what does tres leches cake have to do with avena con leche (avena = oatmeal, con leche = with milk)?  Well, you use a similar "milk" that is used in the cake, for this oatmeal!  I KNOW!  How awesome is that?!  It really should be renamed tres leches avena or something!  It's fantastic!  And easy!!

Avena con Leche

1 can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
Sweetened condensed milk
Cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick if you have one)
1 cup oatmeal (I use old fashioned oats...I like the texture better.  You can use instant if you want, just don't let it sit as long)

Gather up all your ingredients...the little square container is my condensed milk leftover from another recipe.
 
Add the evaporated milk, milk, condensed milk, and cinnamon into a pot over med-low heat.  Use as much condensed milk to suit your taste.  I used about 2 tbsp.  Try a little and taste to see if its sweet enough for you.  If not, add a little more until you reach contentment :)  Heat the milk until ALMOST boiling.  Keep stirring it around so the bottom doesn't scorch.  Once the milk is heated, remove from heat.
 
Add the oatmeal to the hot milk, stir, and then put a lid on.  Do not have the stove on.  The hot milk will cook the oats.  If you have instant oats, this will only take a minute, but if using old fashioned like me, leave sit for about 5-7 minutes or until the oats are the texture you like. 
 
When the oats are done they will have expanded a bit, but not soaked up all the milk.  This is how it should be :)
 
Pour into a mug (or bowl) and enjoy your warm, sweet avena con leche!  Enjoy!
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Very good!! Almost taste like my moms & recipe is not complicated

    ReplyDelete