Friday, December 6, 2013

Mexican Hot Chocolate

Mexican hot chocolate.  I seriously don't know how I lived without it my whole pre "married to a Mexican" life.  It's chocolate with a touch of cinnamon flavor and pure goodness.  Here in my house we use the Abuelita brand of Mexican chocolate.  It's my favorite. 

Maybe you've seen this in stores and wondered what it is (in American stores it's in the "ethnic" isle or in the same isle they have rice, beans, and salsa).  
Mexican chocolate comes in these little round disks.  You can use the whole disk (like we do) or cut off one section per cup of chocolate (or more if you like it really chocolatey).
Add the disk to some milk (I used about 3 1/2 cups of milk) and heat over low heat.  I have found this not to work as well if you microwave it...the chocolate can have a gritty texture if not melted completely.  The best way to melt it is slowly over low heat.
Stir until you see that it's completely dissolved and there is a foam on top.  Make sure to stir constantly so the milk doesn't scorch.
Pour into a cute mug and Enjoy!
 
Now, I highly recommend the Abuelita brand of Mexican chocolate, however, the other day I wanted some chocolate and realized I didn't have any in the house!  So, if you don't have any, try this simple recipe (heat the same way...slowly over low heat).
 
Homemade Mexican Hot Chocolate
*1 cup milk
*2tbsp sugar
*2tbsp cocoa powder
*1/4tsp vanilla
*1 cinnamon stick or a couple shakes of ground cinnamon
Add ingredients, except vanilla, to the milk and heat over low heat until everything is dissolved and milk is hot.  Pour into a cup and add vanilla.  Easy Peasy.  Makes 1 serving.
 
 
Happily Homemade
Sandra
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment